Content Strategy: Keeping it fresh
A while ago I posted an article on the DigitLab blog that spoke about the need to use fresh content in your online marketing strategy. I believe this is one of the most integral elements of any successful marketing campaign. Keeping this in mind I decided it would be worthwhile to share a few comments on this topic with you.
Social media loves fresh content
Fresh content released on a blog often ends up in the social media sphere, and is shared around by interested people until the content has become dull and boring. As this content travels around social media channels it generates a relatively large amount of initial traffic to your website.
Round about now people usually ask me what makes content social media friendly. There are three tips to think about:
- Fresh content is relevant to the times and needs of your customers
- Fresh content adds value to the global online conversation on the topic you are writing about
- Fresh content is easy to digest and easy to share
Google loves fresh content
Google is looking for websites that are creating content on an ongoing basis. This is because they can see that a well managed and often updated blog/website is normally managed by someone who cares about what they put online. They care about their website and the audience.
Google reward these site by ranking them well in search engines. They rank the articles quickly but over time a website that produces consistent content on a specific topic will benefit with better general search engine growth. So how do we create content that is Google friendly? Here are a few thoughts:
- Make sure your on page SEO is flawless
- Make sure you make it easy to share to social media (articles shared on twitter are quickly found by google)
- Guest blog on other blogs and use the opportunity to link back to your blog.
If this sounds daunting to you, don’t stress too much. Drop DigitLab an email and let’s set up a meeting to discuss your content strategy online. Content Strategy and writing is something that we love doing, and we would love to help you improve your online presence. We also do video and audio content should that blow your hair back.