Half Court Shot Nets Publicity for basketbal team
Portland Man Makes Half-Court Shot and Wins a New Truck
The Portland Trail Blazers were looking for a way to capitalize on the excitement of a Friday night game and garner unsolicited media coverage, all while promoting their sponsor. The solution: an on-court promotion giving one lucky contestant the chance to attempt a half-court shot for a new Toyota vehicle! Not only did the promotion generate excitement in the viewing crowd, but the results had the media and fans buzzing for the remainder of the season!
The Portland Trail Blazers “Toyota Half-Court Shot” promotion invited fans to register online through the Trail Blazer’s Web site. The day before the game, the Trail Blazers chose one contestant at random. During a time out, the contestant was invited onto the court to spin a prize wheel loaded with different Toyota vehicles. Where the wheel spin landed determined the prize the contestant was shooting for.
A 23-year old Portland man spun the wheel and landed on a Toyota Tundra truck, valued at $37,000. His amazing, one-handed shot from half-court was successful, nothin’ but net!
The “Toyota Half-Court Shot” generated excitement for the sponsor. According to a Trail Blazer’s representative, “The promotion was a natural tie-in and the reason the sponsor enjoyed it so much. It generated excitement for the whole season!“ Significant media buzz was generated by the promotion, including a feature on ESPN’s Sport Center’s Top 10 plays of the day.
- » Will Eagle, Read This If You Want To Be YouTube Famous author: On authenticity, attitude and audience
- » Why market research and marketing research are very different disciplines - and how to utilise them best
- » How marketers can stay one step ahead of the voice search trend: A guide
- » As influencers increasingly create video content, what does this mean for brands?
- » Consumers are seeking out eco-friendly beauty brands: Exploring the rise of ‘conscious capitalism’